The Motley Fool

Want to retire wealthy? Stop making this one investment mistake

Every investor has the tools at their disposal to make a fortune in the stock market. The problem is, while the tools are there, most investors make severe mistakes throughout their investing career, which cost them dearly. 

And there’s one crucial mistake that’s more damaging than all of the others put together. 

5G is here – and shares of this ‘sleeping giant’ could be a great way for you to potentially profit!

According to one leading industry firm, the 5G boom could create a global industry worth US$12.3 TRILLION out of thin air…

And if you click here we’ll show you something that could be key to unlocking 5G’s full potential...

Rule one: Don’t lose money 

The most prominent mistake investors tend to make is losing money. At first, this might seem like an obvious statement to make. No one wants to lose money, and if there was a way to invest that is 100% risk-free, I’m sure every investor would jump at the chance. 

However, there’s a bit more to this statement than first meets the eye. 

You see, a large percentage of investors believe that volatility defines risk. The more volatile the stock, the more risk it has. But that isn’t the right way of thinking about the market. Instead, the world’s best investors define risk as the chance of losing 100% of your invested capital. 

The trick is to focus on how much you could lose from any investment, not how much you could gain. For example, that AIM mining stock might be worth 20 times its value IF it strikes gold. But what are the chances of everything going to plan? 

According to one set of analysts, the percentage of small mining companies that can successfully find, explore, develop a mine and start producing, is around 2%. So, in this scenario, you have a 98% chance of losing money and a 2% chance of making money. 

This is an imperfect example, but I think it’s a great way of showing how vital it is to consider how much you stand to lose with investment opportunity before taking the plunge. 

Twice as hard 

Another thing to consider with losses is that it’s twice as hard to make money back you’ve lost. If that AIM mining stock falls 60%, and you lose 60% of your capital, it will take a return of 150% to make your money back. 

If the investment is a complete disaster and you lose 98% of your hard earned money, to get back to the starting point, you’ll have to find an investment that produces a return of 4,900%! That’s virtually impossible. 

Conclusion 

So, how can you avoid breaking investing’s rule number one? The best way is to stick to established businesses and FTSE 100 constituents are a great example. Royal Dutch Shell, for example, has been producing returns for investors for more than seven decades. British American Tobacco has a similar record. The company’s share price might have declined over the past few months, but the risks of investors losing everything are slim. 

Another alternative is to use a simple index tracker fund. A FTSE 250 fund gives you instant exposure to the UK’s top 250 listed companies. This diversification means that the chances of investors suffering a 100% loss is virtually zero. 

Put simply, it’s possible to avoid investment losses if you avoid the riskiest companies, and stick with the market’s long-term winners. 

5G is here – and shares of this ‘sleeping giant’ could be a great way for you to potentially profit!

According to one leading industry firm, the 5G boom could create a global industry worth US $12.3 TRILLION out of thin air…

And if you click here, we’ll show you something that could be key to unlocking 5G’s full potential...

It’s just ONE innovation from a little-known US company that has quietly spent years preparing for this exact moment…

But you need to get in before the crowd catches onto this ‘sleeping giant’.

Click here to learn more.

Rupert Hargreaves owns shares in Royal Dutch Shell and British American Tobacco. The Motley Fool UK has no position in any of the shares mentioned. Views expressed on the companies mentioned in this article are those of the writer and therefore may differ from the official recommendations we make in our subscription services such as Share Advisor, Hidden Winners and Pro. Here at The Motley Fool we believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors.

Our 6 'Best Buys Now' Shares

The renowned analyst team at The Motley Fool UK have named 6 shares that they believe UK investors should consider buying NOW.

So if you’re looking for more stock ideas to try and best position your portfolio today, then it might be a good day for you. Because we're offering a full 33% off your first year of membership to our flagship share-tipping service, backed by our 'no quibbles' 30-day subscription fee refund guarantee.

Simply enter your email address below to discover how you can take advantage of this.

I would like to receive emails from you about product information and offers from The Fool and its business partners. Each of these emails will provide a link to unsubscribe from future emails. More information about how The Fool collects, stores, and handles personal data is available in its Privacy Statement.