NEW! Our Hero’s Journey tool can help you with your next step towards financial freedom - click here to try now.

Fineco traders have been selling Apple stock

Fineco traders have been selling Apple stock
Image source: Getty Images


Apple stock has been a superb buy over the years. Even with all of the company’s past success, it’s still going from strength to strength and had an incredible last year.

However, not everyone seems confident that the company’s run will continue, and traders on the Fineco platform have been selling Apple shares. Here’s what’s going on with Apple shares along with the other companies traders are buying and selling right now.

Compare stocks and shares ISAs

If you’re planning to open a stocks and shares ISA, choosing the right platform is important. To help you narrow down the choices, we’ve created a list of some of the top stocks and shares ISAs.

What’s going on with Apple (AAPL) stock?

Weekly trading data from FinecoBank shows that only 24% of global traders were buying these shares. This means that the other 76% of trading volume was people selling Apple stock.

Things have actually been looking positive for the business. Recent reports suggest that Apple is looking to boost iPhone production throughout the rest of this year. This may help to increase the company’s sales.

This news comes alongside a continuation of strong earnings, which helped boost Apple’s share price to an all-time high, pushing the valuation of the company close to $2.5 trillion.

So why are traders selling Apple stock?

With plenty of good news, you are probably wondering why people are selling Apple shares. Some potential reasons for this sell-off include:

  • Following recent share price increases, some investors believe there will not be any further price rises in the short term
  • Global markets have turned slightly pessimistic with worries that the coronavirus pandemic may still have some sting left in its tail
  • Although Apple’s sales have been strong and the company wants to ramp up production, supply issues for components could slow its ambitious roll
  • Expectations are very high for a company with such strong performance figures, making it difficult for it to really make a splash and wow investors

All that being said, Apple appears to be a victim of its own success. The business is in strong shape with good long-term prospects. So although some doubt they can keep smashing expectations, they’re not necessarily doing anything wrong right now.

Are you making these 3 common investing mistakes?

These all-too-common investing errors could lead to missing out on the long-term wealth-building power that shares can hold….

To help you better understand these pitfalls, how you could avoid them and move forward on a path to wealth-building, we’ve created a free report, “The 3 Worst Mistakes New Investors Make”.

Just enter your best email below for instant access to your free copy.

By checking this box and submitting your email address, you agree to MyWalletHero sending you emails with money tips, along with details of products and services that we think might interest you. You can unsubscribe from future emails at any time. You also consent to us processing your personal data in line with our privacy policy, and our cookie statement. For more information, including how we collect, store, and handle personal data, please read our Privacy Statement and Terms & Conditions.

Other than Apple stock, what are traders buying and selling?

Here are the other businesses being bought and sold heavily on the Fineco platform right now.

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCLH)

It’s been a tough time for cruise companies across the world. They were one of the hardest-hit areas within a struggling travel sector.

These shares were the most popular for traders globally this week. The stock was bought by 52% of investors and sold by the other 48%. This comes after news of ongoing battles between the company and regulators around the vaccination of staff and passengers.

Many believe this industry will come back strong, but there is a divide on when this full recovery might happen.

Cassava Sciences (SAVA)

This was the top mover in the United States this week. Trading volume was split with 51% buying and 49% selling.

Cassava Sciences is an American company that’s had an incredible year in terms of its share price. Despite this, the price of the stock fell by 11.4% last Friday, which some investors saw as a great buying opportunity to purchase the stock at a discount.

Halfords Group (HFD)

Lots of people have turned to cycling in the past year. This has been good business for companies like Halfords.

However, global supply shortages and ongoing Covid-19 issues in Japan and Taiwan have made it difficult for the retailer to meet customer demand. So although the company’s goods are highly popular, 65% of traders are selling Halfords shares and only 35% are buying them.

Where can I buy and sell stock like Apple?

Using one of our top-rated share dealing accounts, you can invest in businesses you believe will succeed in the long run. It’s worth considering taking a long-term approach and avoiding too much trading because this can increase your investing costs and tax liabilities.

Setting up a tax-efficient account like the FinecoBank stocks and shares ISA is one good way to potentially reduce your tax responsibility.

Just remember that all investing carries risk and you may get out less than what you put in. So always be sure to have a plan and research any investments thoroughly before diving in.

Please note that tax treatment depends on the individual circumstances of each client and may be subject to change in the future. The content in this article is provided for information purposes only. It is not intended to be, neither does it constitute, any form of tax advice. Readers are responsible for carrying out their own due diligence and for obtaining professional advice before making any investment decisions.

Reviewed and rated 4 stars out of 5 by MyWalletHero

Need investment advice? Get a free initial review lasting up to 1 hour, plus £50 off any follow-up advice.

MyWalletHero has sourced you a £50 discount off the cost of advice when you find an independent or whole-of-market financial adviser through Unbiased.co.uk*. All advisers are FCA-regulated, qualified and give fully unbiased advice. To find yourself an adviser fast and for free – use the Unbiased matching tool.

*This is an offer from one of our affiliate partners. For more information on why and how we work with partners, click here.

Was this article helpful?
YesNo

Some offers on MyWalletHero are from our partners — it’s how we make money and keep this site going. But does that impact our ratings? Nope. Our commitment is to you. If a product isn’t any good, our rating will reflect that, or we won’t list it at all. Also, while we aim to feature the best products available, we do not review every product on the market. Learn more here. The statements above are The Motley Fool’s alone and have not been provided or endorsed by bank advertisers. John Mackey, CEO of Whole Foods Market, an Amazon subsidiary, is a member of The Motley Fool’s board of directors. The Motley Fool UK has recommended Barclays, Hargreaves Lansdown, HSBC Holdings, Lloyds Banking Group, Mastercard, and Tesco.