Do I need a financial adviser for my pension?

Do I need a financial adviser for my pension?
Image source: Getty Images

Do you have a pension? You might be wondering whether you always need to contact a financial adviser when opening, transferring or making changes to a plan. This article answers some of the most common questions about when a financial adviser is needed.

Compare stocks and shares ISAs

If you’re planning to open a stocks and shares ISA, choosing the right platform is important. To help you narrow down the choices, we’ve created a list of some of the top stocks and shares ISAs.

Is a financial adviser always necessary?

You don’t always need a financial adviser for your pension. You can do the following without one:

  • Open a self-invested personal pension (SIPP)
  • Open a stakeholder pension plan
  • Transfer multiple pensions to a single pension (consolidation)
  • Increase pension payments into a SIPP, stakeholder pension plan, or an occupational defined contribution scheme

When is it worth seeking financial advice?

There are a number of different situations when it’s a good idea to seek professional advice. Such situations could include the following:

  • Drawing your retirement income
  • Accessing your retirement income tax-efficiently
  • Finding the best deal on an annuity
  • Estate and inheritance planning
  • Changing your investments to reduce risk

When do I need a financial adviser for my pension?

It is advisable to seek financial advice for your pension before you decide to do any of the following:

  • Respond to an unsolicited approach from a ‘company’ about cashing in your pension
  • Undertake pension release or pension unlocking before you turn 55
  • Sign up for any type of pension investment without understanding the implications

Are there any situations when I have to get one?

Yes, there are. By law, you must get financial advice if you are in the following situations:

  • You have a final salary or defined benefit pension worth more than £30,000 and you want to transfer it to a defined contribution pension scheme.
  • You have a defined contribution pension scheme worth more than £30,000 with a guarantee of what you will be paid when you retire, and you want to give this up to do something else with it.

If you are in this situation, you will need to make sure your financial adviser is registered with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

Where can I get a financial adviser?

If you need to seek financial advice, check out our article on the seven steps to finding a financial adviser.

Are you making these 3 common investing mistakes?

These all-too-common investing errors could lead to missing out on the long-term wealth-building power that shares can hold….

To help you better understand these pitfalls, how you could avoid them and move forward on a path to wealth-building, we’ve created a free report, “The 3 Worst Mistakes New Investors Make”.

Just enter your best email below for instant access to your free copy.

By checking this box and submitting your email address, you agree to MyWalletHero sending you emails with money tips, along with details of products and services that we think might interest you. You can unsubscribe from future emails at any time. You also consent to us processing your personal data in line with our privacy policy, and our cookie statement. For more information, including how we collect, store, and handle personal data, please read our Privacy Statement and Terms & Conditions.

When looking for a financial adviser for your pension, it’s a good idea to select someone that is registered with the Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA). Registration with this organisation ensures that specific standards of practice are met.

How much will it cost?

Fees and charges will vary depending on the service you need. When looking for a financial adviser, it’s a good idea to contact them and ask about their fees and charges before booking an appointment.

For further information, check the Money Advice Service’s guide to financial adviser fees.

Take home

Take your time when making decisions about your pension. You should never be rushed into a decision. Make sure you understand the implications first.

If you are still wondering whether you need a financial adviser for your pension, don’t worry. If you are aged 50 or over and you have a personal or workplace pension, Pension Wise offers free impartial government guidance about your options.

For further information, you can also read our article on how pensions work.

Reviewed and rated 4 stars out of 5 by MyWalletHero

Need investment advice? Get a free initial review lasting up to 1 hour, plus £50 off any follow-up advice.

MyWalletHero has sourced you a £50 discount off the cost of advice when you find an independent or whole-of-market financial adviser through*. All advisers are FCA-regulated, qualified and give fully unbiased advice. To find yourself an adviser fast and for free – use the Unbiased matching tool.

*This is an offer from one of our affiliate partners. For more information on why and how we work with partners, click here.

Was this article helpful?

Some offers on MyWalletHero are from our partners — it’s how we make money and keep this site going. But does that impact our ratings? Nope. Our commitment is to you. If a product isn’t any good, our rating will reflect that, or we won’t list it at all. Also, while we aim to feature the best products available, we do not review every product on the market. Learn more here. The statements above are The Motley Fool’s alone and have not been provided or endorsed by bank advertisers. John Mackey, CEO of Whole Foods Market, an Amazon subsidiary, is a member of The Motley Fool’s board of directors. The Motley Fool UK has recommended Barclays, Hargreaves Lansdown, HSBC Holdings, Lloyds Banking Group, Mastercard, and Tesco.