The Motley Fool
Our innovative account lets you buy shares for just £2.00 commission using a regular investment plan.
With The Motley Fool ShareBuilder, you create a regular investment plan to automatically purchase your chosen investments on a set day each month. This means you don't have to purchase your shares in one lump sum but can build up your portfolio over a longer period of time.
We invest on a set day four times a month so we're able to group all our customers' orders together and pass the savings directly on to you. To compliment your trading strategies, you can use our real-time dealing service to buy and sell stocks immediately during market hours.
- Buy shares for just £2.00 commission with a regular investment plan
- Purchases within The Motley Fool ShareBuilder allow you to buy fractions of shares – so every penny you invest goes directly into the shares you want
- Choose from a wide range of eligible UK investments for your plan and invest from as little as £5 per month into each stock line
- Subscribe from as little as £20 per month into your plan
- No inactivity, management fees and no tie-in period
- Compliment your trading using our real-time dealing service at our standard commission rates
- Secure online trading
- FREE investor support tools and IPO notification service
|Planned ShareBuilder trade||£2|
|UK real-time purchase (online)||£10|
|UK real-time sale (online)||£10|
|International real-time purchase (online)||£17.50|
|International real-time sale (online)||£17.50|
|Foreign Currency Charges||1% per trade|
|Set up or amend a TradePlan||£2 (dealing charge reduced to £8)|
Whilst there are no annual fees, inactivity fees or registration fees to pay, the following items attract a charge.
|Transfer out electronically to another broker||£25 per stock|
|Dividend reinvestment||2% - capped at £10
(UK CREST eligible shares only)
|Issuing a paper certificate||£35 (UK shares only)|
|Cash withdrawal by cheque||£25|
For a full list of all dealing and administrative charges, please click here
Foreign Exchange Information
Foreign currency conversions are required to facilitate the settlement of international transactions and include a spread, which can vary from time-to-time, applied to the Available Exchange Rate*. The current spread is 1.0%. Indicative exchange rates are provided prior to trading, and the rate applicable to the individual trade is confirmed on the contract note once the deal has been completed.
* The available 'Available Exchange Rate' is based on the exchange rate provided within the Global Treasury Information Services foreign exchange feed supplied by Interactive Data Corporation.
Duties and levies
- Whenever a transaction is made on the London stock market or any other London-based exchange and is greater than £10,000, the details of the transaction get passed on to the Panel on Takeovers and Mergers for evaluation, and a levy is charged of (currently) £1.00 on the transaction, which goes to the Panel as payment (known as the 'PTM levy'). Find out more.
- When you buy UK investments, you also have to pay a form of tax called Stamp Duty or Stamp Duty Reserve Tax. This is 0.5% of the value of the investments you buy (1% on Irish stocks and 0% on Exchange Traded Funds).
Our TradePlan service lets you take control of risk and make the most of the rise and fall of the market, without constantly monitoring it. Just instruct TradePlan as to how you want your shares managed and sit back as it executes your instructions. These are some of the features you can benefit from:
- Limit Orders: This lets you set a price above which you will not buy and below which you will not sell investments.
- Stop Loss: Lets you set a price to sell shares which is lower than the current price. It aims to protect you from falls in a share price.
- Target Setting: Use Target Setting to maximise profit when share prices rise and protect against losses when they fall. This TradePlan is a combination of a Limit Order to sell at a higher price than the current price and a Stop Loss order to sell at a lower price than the current price.
- Range Trading: Use Range Trading to specify the prices which you wish to buy and sell a particular stock without the need to constantly watch share prices. It's a combination of two Limit Orders, one to buy shares at a lower price than the current price, and one to sell them at a higher price.
- Price Locking: Use Price Locking to track a rising share price and protect you if the price begins to fall. It is an intuitive Stop Loss order that automatically adjusts your stop price to lock in rises when shares climb and protects you from sharp falls.
Each TradePlan costs £2 to set up, however if a trade is executed on that TradePlan we reduce the £10 dealing charge on that trade by £2 - so you deal at £8 a trade.
* Please note TradePlan is only available on CREST eligible UK investments.
Free investor support tools
We also offer the following research tools and market information:
- Charts: see how a company's share price is performing today or view the historical price for up to three years
- Company information: access the latest accounts and recent dividend payment news
- Latest FTSE and international indices levels
- Latest FTSE 100 valuations and Top 10 FTSE risers and fallers
- All the latest company news by the minute
- Access to free annual reports
Initial Public Offering (IPO) notification service
As a Motley Fool Share Dealing Service customer, if we are notified and offered the opportunity to partake in an upcoming IPO and we accept the terms of the offer, we will inform you of our participation as soon as possible via email. This will give you the opportunity to purchase the company's first offer of shares in the stock market before they are publicly traded for the first time. (The shares may be offered at a discount, face value or at a premium).
You can apply quickly and easily for your account online, and once it's open you'll be able to start trading within days.
In order to complete the online application process you will need:
- Your address details for the last three years
- Your bank account details (debit card, sort code and account number)
Once you have completed your application successfully we will then send you your PIN and also issue you with a temporary password to activate your account.